About Me

My photo
Approaching each day as a new adventure, loving life and my family, making art when I can.

Monday, September 05, 2011

Sunset Ponderings & the Suspension of Disbelief

Today was a beautiful day- woke up to tea with Grant ever so briefly before he ran out to be productive at our garden. The summer heat has taken a toll on the garden, killing off most all of our Spring plantings. Weeds took over, bermuda grass ran rampant and the tomatoes, peppers and pretty much everything else slowly gave up the ghost to the 100+ heat. We expected this and thought it best not to waste water in the fight to keep it alive, but our garden zone manager contacted us anyways to make sure that we hadn't forgotten about our garden, most likely because it looked so bad! Grant has spent much time in the past few weeks trying to get it all straightened out, and today's cooler weather was the perfect time to finish up the clearing. I thought about taking a walk earlier in the day to go over and see it, but waited till close to sunset and finally we walked over together. As we walked there, I looked at the sun setting and thought "Wow, what a beautiful rich red the sky is around the setting sun." Then upon further glance, realized that what was aiding such a gorgeous sunset was actually the smoke in the sky from distant wildfires.

It was good to see the garden again after so long. It has been so hot I have been avoiding spending any time there since the last time I went for an hour or so in my 2nd trimester to put work time in- that day even drinking lots of water I ended up overheated and dehydrated which for me equaled sick for the rest of the day- after that I no longer wanted to take any chances with the heat. Our garden plot is pretty empty again- only a few herbs and plants remain alive and growing, although I know under our soil lies the dormant root systems of so many plants that will return with the cooler wetter weather to come. Just a reminder that everything has it's season and cycle. The walk in the cool breeze of the garden made it feel like Fall- I don't trust the weather enough to believe that this cool air will last much beyond this week and fear that next week we will find ourselves in 100+ degree weather again, but I try to set that thought aside and just enjoy this moment now, the cool breeze on my face as I walk along ever so slowly and front heavy.

Lately it seems my whole life is about the suspension of disbelief and the remainder of hope and peaceful acceptance of what will be.

Once home, we immediately opened our windows to allow the cool evening breeze in- Oscar was very excited to go sniff out what was happening outside.  Even if this weather doesn't stick very long, I know that within the next two weeks Alchemy will arrive, and soon enough the weather will cool just in time for she and I to take small walks together- that keeps me hopeful and happy.

No comments: