About Me

My photo
Approaching each day as a new adventure, loving life and my family, making art when I can.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Winds of Change

Today is an absolutely beautiful day here in Austin. A cold front has blown in, keeping our temperatures in the upper 60's to very low 70's this afternoon. With the windows open and the very strong breeze, it feels almost cold in the house. Alchemy, Oscar and I are loving it- she has been napping happily wrapped in a blanket beside me as I work on the downstairs computer, Oscar has been trading between occupying the glider chair and the front window.



I spent some time this morning bringing some magickal focus back to my main altar downstairs. I have been spending so much time upstairs that the altar that gets most of my attention is Alchemy's in our bedroom, although even that needs a clean up and overhaul at the moment. Come to think of it, most of our house needs an overhaul.




Grant has been taking small moments when he can to keep the downstairs more clean and organized which I am grateful for. I am going to create a little To-Do list/schedule of tasks & cleaning to be done in hopes of taking one thing at a time and working on it at whatever pace I need to in order to get it done. Just a little each day will help. Today it was a trip to the coop for groceries and some kitchen organizing. Tomorrow there will be laundry at the very least.

As I was cleaning my altar I sat thinking for a while about myself when I was smaller- looking at photos my mom and I pulled out when she was here, I wonder what Alchemy will be like when she is one, three, six etc.. She changes so much each day while at the same time staying so much the same. She is five weeks old and I can see the beginnings of baby pudge forming on her arms and legs, under her chin. Her eye lashes are becoming more defined, the blue of her eyes lightening. She is more beautiful everyday to me.



Tomorrow we are going on our first bus adventure together to meet Grant at ACC for a religion panel discussion on Rites of Passage. I am very happy to be attending a panel again because I very much enjoyed the previous talks I attended, but also feel like this particular one will resonate will resonate with me since I feel like I am going through my own rite of passage into motherhood at the moment. Recently a friend of mine posted information about a class offered here in Austin taught by two certified Doulas called Mother Unfolding. It's a five week class that meets once a week intended to bring new moms and babies together to learn how to handle being new moms, discuss a variety of things that come up in the early weeks with our babies and to handle them etc.. The class serves both as a support group of sorts as well as a place of education on many things. It sounds great, but unfortunately starts this week on Thursday when I have previous plans, and also costs more than I have to lay out at this time. So, it looks like I will have to keep unfolding into being a mother on my own- like a new butterfly, I know I am a more beautiful and developed form of who I once was, but am forever changed. Each day I will spread my wings a bit more, walk lightly on my new mother legs and figure out how to be a better mother to Alchemy.


Thursday she and I are going to a local nursery called The Natural Gardener with a dear friend I haven't spent time with in a long time. I love that nursery and haven't been since sometime in my early pregnancy. Even if I had no intention of buying plants I could spend hours there walking in their gardens, visiting with their donkeys, goats and chickens and walking in the labyrinth. However, I do have intention of buying some plants while I am there for our garden. Grant has put in some hard work lately preparing our garden for the late fall and winter planting we want to do. I miss our garden bunches and am glad it will be planted again after taking such a beating from the intense summer heat and drought. Now that the weather is cooling and I am not pregnant anymore, I too can get back into gardening again, I have missed working it.


Friday there is a party to attend with Grant at St. Eds, Saturday I get to reunite with my Citizen Schools coworkers (most of them anyways) for afternoon lunch before we head to our lodge for a Dia de Los Muertos feast in the evening, Sunday after we hopefully have gotten some sleep, we will wake early and get on the road to Damon to see my parents for a day. My Dad has not met Alchemy yet, I am so excited that he finally gets to see her and that my Mom will see her again as well. Even though it has only been a week and a half since she left Austin, I know she has missed her as much as we miss having her here with us.


It is a full week, but a happy one filled with lots of time out in the gorgeous weather spending time with loved ones. I love having weeks like this.

No comments: