About Me

My photo
Approaching each day as a new adventure, loving life and my family, making art when I can.

Friday, October 07, 2011

Supply and Demand

Haiku of the day:

I need to create
More milk so that my baby
Can eat and gain weight.

(in a way, it's about nature, and at least its 5-7-5)

Went to the birthing center for our check up and full newborn screening today. Got to visit with our midwife R who Grant and I both very much like. She is older (although in no way old) and from Germany and always gives us very very wise information and advice whenever we are there. Today's info was wise although not what I has hoped for by any means.

Although Alchemy was showing signs of taking in a good amount of milk when our lactation consultant came out, she still has not managed to regain enough to get back to her birth weight. Somewhere along the way last week due to the way she was nursing, potentially both from my nipple damage, her tongue tie or the fact that she falls asleep at the breast so often- she stopped sucking as efficiently as she needed to both to get enough milk and to keep my supply up.

Now I am on a routine where I feed her then pump after to help increase my supply, and what we pump we feed her in addition to what she breast fed to get more into her. Hopefully this will not only increase my milk supply more quickly, but will also fatten her up faster. I got a rental pump from the local lactation store that is hospital grade and very good. Got tired of holding it to my breasts for long pumping sessions yesterday, so I cut holes in my sports bra, and wa-la! Hands free pumping. I also got a hold of Fenugreek which is supposed to help with milk supply increase as well.

So fingers crossed, hopefully my supply will redevelop quick enough to get more food into her before my weight check appt this coming Monday. I'd rather not supplement with formula if I can avoid it, although if I have to for a couple of days to help her gain weight while my supply comes back, I will.

My mom is hanging in with us for an extra few days to see how all this goes next Monday before returning to Houston. Grant's parents arrived last night from Ohio to visit for the weekend and meet Alchemy which is very exciting! Hopefully beyond this crazy feed-pump-feed schedule there will be time for fun this weekend.





Location:Austin, TX

No comments: